- Uproot cultural norms. If something is considered “common sense,” then you should ridicule or satirize it.
- Target modesty and decency.
- Celebrate obscenity, vulgarity, and cruelty.
- Embrace chaos.
- Shun “traditional” or “standard” forms or structures. If you don’t want to challenge them too radically, at least tweak them with the aim of upsetting the reader’s, or spectator’s, equilibrium.
- Have a point. Art for art’s sake, or strange for strange’s sake, or offensive for offensive’s sake should be treated like television: it’s all right in moderation, but too much will rot your brain.